The 5 Best Mattress Toppers for Side Sleepers Reviewed
For many people, sleeping on their sides is the most comfortable way of getting a good night’s sleep. However, sleeping in this position does come with it’s fair share of problems and, if your body is not being supported correctly, can lead to painful aches and pains that can affect your daily life.
Sore hips, shoulders and a lower back are all problems that side sleepers can suffer from, and standard mattresses are usually unable to provide enough support to prevent these from occurring.
So just how are you supposed to sleep comfortably on your side without putting any stress on these pressure points?
The answer lies in mattress toppers! A good mattress topper that has been designed specifically for side sleepers will be able to provide you with the support your entire body needs throughout the night, as well as ensure that you’re comfortable, will leave you feeling refreshed and, more importantly, ache-free the next day.
However, with so many mattress toppers available how can you make sure that you’re getting the best one for your side sleeping preference? Don’t worry, we’re here to help.
To take all of the hard work and confusion out of it, we’ve compiled a list of the best mattress toppers for side sleepers below, each of which is guaranteed to give you the best night’s sleep of your life. We’ve also put together a super useful buying guide that’s packed full of hints and tips on what to look out for before you make your final decision.
So grab a seat, keep reading and pretty soon you’ll be the proud owner of a mattress topper that will allow you to comfortably sleep on your side and will make any aches and pains nothing but a distant memory.
Best Mattress Topper for Side Sleepers
If you’re a back sleeper that finds themselves sometimes switching positions throughout the night, the Coop Home Goods Premium Adjustable Loft Pillow is a great choice to consider because it can also support side and stomach sleeping positions.
One of the great things about this pillow is the ability to adjust the filling to achieve the ideal loft for you. It comes with an extra half a pound of stuffing which you can add to the pillow if you want it to be more fluffy and full. Similarly, you can also remove the stuffing to achieve a lower loft if you’d rather it to be more flat.
Thanks to the adjustable foam fill option, this innovative pillow allows you to create the perfect positioning for your neck and back, which in turn promotes a better spinal alignment and results in a much more enjoyable and comfortable sleep.
Made with your comfort in mind, the Coop Home Goods Pillow is also stuffed with shredded visco elastic memory foam, which allows for a greater airflow and flexibility than a solid piece of memory foam could.
When in use, the memory foam pieces will contour to your neck to provide instant support, all the while remaining flexible enough to allow you to change sleeping positions throughout the night, ‘moving’ with you and readjusting itself to offer the greatest amount of support.
Additionally, it also comes with a removable viscose rayon cover designed to help you to stay nice and cool throughout the night thanks to a proprietary blend of polyester (60%) and bamboo (40%) that offers better ventilation and helps to regulate your temperature.
- The shredded memory foam pieces allow greater flexibility, meaning that this pillow is suitable for back, stomach and side sleeping positions
- Suitable for vegans and cruelty free
- The adjustable loft ensures optimal comfort, as well as being able to promote correct spinal alignment
- Some do not like the triangular, decorative pattern across the cover
Two inches of quilted fibre filling make up half of this mattress topper’s 4 inch depth, and has been designed to provide pockets of cushioning that will provide you with ultimate comfort and to allow your shoulders and hips to sink into it without creating any stress on these pressure points.
A memory foam layer makes up the other two inches of depth, and this will help to keep your spine aligned whilst you sleep by molding to the contours of your body. The memory foam used in the construction of this mattress topper also includes a cooling gel which helps to regulate your body temperature, prevent you from overheating and ensures you get an uninterrupted night’s sleep.
This mattress topper is hypoallergenic so is the perfect choice for anybody that suffers from allergies, and comes with a machine washable cover that doesn’t only ensure that the topper is kept as clean as possible, but also helps to keep it in place on your bed. All of these fantastic features are backed by an included 10 year warranty.
- Has a thickness of 4 inches, with half being made up of quilted fibre filling and the other half made up of gel memory foam
- The quilted fibre filling provides additional comfort and allows you shoulders and hips to sink into the topper without creating stress on these pressure points
- A gel memory foam layer keeps your spine in alignment whilst you sleep, and regulates your body temperature to prevent you from overheating
- Is hypoallergenic and comes with a removable, machine washable cover
- Includes a 10 year warranty
- This mattress topper is only available in a depth of 4 inches, which gives you less choice over finding the perfect depth for your individual needs
It achieves this by overfilling the cushioned pockets with ultra plush snow-down, which provides additional support for your shoulders and hips and helps to keep your spine in alignment whilst you sleep.
This down is covered with 100% 400TC cotton, which provides breathability and helps to regulate your body temperature in the same way as memory foam but without any chemical or newly manufactured smell. There are also deep elasticated pockets built into this mattress topper which, regardless of the size you need for your bed, will ensure it stays securely attracted to the mattress and won’t slide around during the night.
Another fantastic thing about this mattress topper being designed without any memory foam is that it is totally machine washable, and has even been cleverly constructed using a baffle-box design that ensures the down doesn’t shift or bunch into one area during the wash. It can even be popped in the tumble dryer to speed up the drying time and to fluff it up whenever required.
- Designed and constructed without any memory foam, making it a great choice for anybody looking for an all-natural alternative
- Is 50% thicker than most other mattress toppers to provide additional comfort and support for side-sleeping
- The cushioned pockets are overfilled with ultra plush snow-down, keeping your shoulders and hips supported whilst keeping your spine aligned
- Covered with 100% 400TC cotton that provides breathability and helps to regulate your body temperature whilst you sleep
- The entire mattress topper is machine washable and can even be tumble dried
- Only comes with a 30 day warranty, whereas some others are guaranteed for up to 10 years
The top 1.5 inches of this mattress topper are made up of extra-fluffy down that provides a layer of comfort whilst providing additional support. This also helps to add an extra layer of luxury to your existing mattress, rejuvenating the quality and saving you money and the hassle of having to replace it.
2.5 inches of gel memory foam make up the remaining depth of this mattress topper which helps to make sure that your spine is kept in perfect alignment whilst you lay on your side, and the cooling gel within the memory foam regulates your body temperature and prevents you from overheating. This memory foam has also been specially designed to reduce motion transfer, so you won’t have to worry about it moving around no matter how many times you turn during the night.
The top layer of this mattress topper can also be removed and machine washed for ultimate convenience, and has been thoroughly tested to ensure that it won’t shrink or pile during the cleaning process. It’s quality is backed by a 3 year warranty and a 60 day money back guarantee.
- Split into two separate depths of material to provide excellent support and comfort for anybody that sleeps on their side
- The top half is constructed using extra-fluffy down that allows you to sink into it whilst still keeping your shoulders and hips supported
- A memory foam layer makes up the bottom half, which keeps your spine aligned whilst you sleep and is infused with a cooling gel to help regulate your body temperature
- The top layer is also machine washable and has been tested to prevent shrinking and piling
- Comes with a 60 day money back guarantee and a 3 year warranty
- The 1.5 inches of cushioning on the top layer may not be enough for some people, and there isn’t an option to choose a different size of depth
As you may have guessed from it’s name, this mattress topper has been created using 100% natural latex which is a fantastic alternative to memory foam as it is able to naturally mold to the contours of your body and keep your shoulders, hips and back supported whilst you sleep.
Natural latex is also highly breathable and ‘heat neutral’, which means that it will not absorb any body heat during the night and will keep you at a cool, consistent temperature. This is further enhanced by the addition of naturally-occurring, tiny air chambers that run throughout the foam and allow air to circulate and flow freely through the mattress topper.
This mattress topper is also extremely durable and will be able to handle being tossed and turned on during the night without showing any signs of wear and tear. This is backed by a five year warranty and, if you’re unsure about whether this is the right mattress topper for you, you’ll also get a 30 day trial period to make up your mind.
- Constructed using natural latex, making it a great choice for anybody looking to purchase an all-natural alternative to memory foam
- Available in a range of depths from 1” – 3”, as well as a huge variety of bed-size options
- Natural latex is able to mold itself to the contours of your body and provide support for your shoulders, hips and back throughout the night
- Is also highly breathable and ‘heat neutral’ which will regulate your body temperature and keep you at a consistent temperature all night long
- Highly durable, and includes a 3 year warranty and 30 day trial period
- Doesn’t have any additional cushioning or a down-filled top layer, however this doesn’t have much of a negative impact on the comfort level
Best Mattress Topper for Side Sleepers – Buyer’s Guide
If you’re a natural side sleeper, then it’s a really good idea to invest in a mattress topper that has been specially designed to provide your body with the support it needs whilst you’re sleeping. This will prevent any strain on sensitive pressure points, such as your shoulders or hips, whilst simultaneously ensuring that your spine is kept aligned.
However, when you’re looking at which mattress topper is best for you, there are a few things you need to consider before making your purchase. We’ve put together a list of points to give some thought to when you’re shopping around, which will help you find one that will provide you with the right support for side-sleeping and ensure that you’re kept as comfortable as possible all night long.
First and foremost, you need to make sure that the mattress topper you’re looking at is going to actually fit on your existing mattress. Many mattress toppers come in a wide range of sizes that vary from Twin to California King, and finding the correct size for your bed will ensure it fits properly and that it performs as well as it promises to.
It’s worth noting that, much like with clothing, the size of a mattress topper can range from brand to brand as well, and that a King Size in one brand may not be exactly the same as a King Size from another. With that in mind, we’d recommend grabbing a tape measure and writing down the dimensions of your mattress so you can cross reference them with the mattress topper you’re considering purchasing.
Doing this will ensure that you get the correct size the first time around, and prevent the hassle of having to return it for another.
Once you’ve figured out what size you need, it’s time to look at the different materials that are used in the construction of mattress toppers, and how each one can help you with your side sleeping preference.
The most common material you’ll see used in mattress toppers for side sleepers is memory foam. This is a fantastic choice to go for, as it is able to mold itself to the natural contours of your body and give you the feeling of sinking into your mattress, whilst ensuring that your entire body is supported and kept in a position that won’t result in any aches or pains.
There is one downside to memory foam, however, that is reported time and time again – it has a newly-manufactured smell that can take a few days to dissipate. However, if you can get past this and have the patience to wait it out, then there’s no doubt that you’ll be getting an amazing night’s sleep with a memory foam mattress topper.
If you’re not so keen on the idea of a memory foam mattress topper, then there are also natural alternatives available. One of these is ultra plush down, which uses an over-filling technique to produce an extra thick mattress topper that will provide support and comfort for side sleepers without any memory foam being incorporated into the construction.
Natural latex is another excellent alternative to memory foam, and it works much in the same way by molding itself to the contours of your body and providing support for your hips, shoulders and back throughout the night. Natural latex is also highly durable, so it will be able to handle a great amount of tossing and turning without showing any signs of wear.
And, of course, there are mattress toppers that are made up of a combination of different materials. This usually involves a bottom layer that is constructed using memory foam, and a top layer that is made from a cushioning material such as down or quilted fibers. These mattress toppers give you the best of both worlds, and can often provide additional comfort and support that single-material options may not be able to.
It’s also important to give some thought to the thickness of your mattress topper as well, as the difference between these can have a massive impact on how well it will support you if you tend to sleep on your side.
These thickness can vary as much as 1” – 4”, which can make finding the perfect level for your individual needs a little confusing. So, to help make things clearer, we’ve summarized each thickness below.
- 1” Mattress Toppers: This level of thickness will add a very subtle change to your existing mattress, and will provide you with a fair amount of support without adding a dramatic height to your bed
- 2” Mattress Toppers: These will make a big difference to the feel of your bed, and will basically remove the feeling of your existing mattress, yet are not so thick as to take away any support that it offers.
- 3” Mattress Toppers: A 3” topper will dramatically change the feeling of your bed altogether, and will provide a huge amount of extra support for your spine and for the pressure points that are often affected by side sleeping. This size is often the most popular choice for side sleepers.
- 4” Mattress Toppers: A mattress topper of this thickness is essentially like putting another mattress on top of your existing mattress. Your back, shoulders and hips will be fully supported throughout the night, however it will add a lot more height to your bed, which isn’t ideal for some people.
You also need to think about how breathable your proposed mattress topper is as well, as this will have a huge impact on how comfortable you are throughout the night.
Memory foam mattress toppers are often infused with a cooling gel, which means that it will help to keep your body temperature at a consistent level throughout the night and prevent you from overheating.
Natural latex is also very good at regulating your body temperature, and has naturally-occurring air chambers that allows air to circulate up through the mattress topper which doesn’t only prevent you from overheating but also allows your skin to breathe throughout the night.
Just like your duvet and pillows, you’ll need to give your mattress topper a wash from time to time to keep it looking and smelling fresh, and to generally keep it in good condition so that it lasts longer.
Some mattress toppers require a trip to the dry cleaners in order to give them a wash, and although this means that you don’t have to worry about making sure you’re cleaning it correctly, can create an inconvenience in your schedule as you’ll need to find the time to make the trip for drop off and collection.
Luckily, however, there are many mattress toppers available that can simply be placed in a washing machine and cleaned at home. Some can even be tumble dried to speed up the drying process, or simply to give them a little plump up as and when required.
A clever cleaning feature that some mattress toppers also have is a baffle box design. This works by using pockets of stitching to keep the interior down or quilted fiber in place, and prevents it from shifting or piling into one corner when it’s being washed.
Purchasing a mattress topper that can be cleaned at home will also save you a lot of money in the long run and will certainly prevent you from paying a hefty dry cleaning bill. However, it’s really important that you read the care instructions and wash it as directed, otherwise you could cause irreversible damage.
Finally, it’s a really good idea to look at what kind of warranty your mattress topper includes. These can range from 30 days right up to 10 years, and finding one that will cover you for a replacement over a long period of time will help to give you peace of mind when purchasing, as well as confidence in knowing that you’re buying a quality product.
Some mattress toppers also come with a money back guarantee or a trial period, and these are also good to look out for if you’re uncertain about whether you’ve made the right choice.
Last update on 2021-08-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API