The Top 5 Knee Pillows Reviewed
Side sleepers often have it rough.
With all their body weight falling on their hips and shoulders, it can lead to restless nights and uncomfortable mornings.
It is possible to reduce the discomfort associated with side sleeping by adjusting one’s posture, mattress, or arm positioning.
However, even with all these adjustments, it can still lead to hip pain and nerve pain if you sleep on your side continuously for years.
It’s also possible to remove these factors of pain and discomfort simply by switching sleeping positions.
Sleeping on the back, for example, allows for body weight to be distributed much more evenly throughout the bones, joints, and muscles.
Unfortunately, some sleepers just can’t get as high quality of sleep on their backs or stomachs as they do on their sides.
Luckily, there is something you can introduce into your sleep arsenal that can ease pain associated with side sleeping and make things feel much more comfortable: the knee pillow.
An orthopedic knee pillow is specially designed to relieve side-sleeping pain or discomfort and is available online with many different options. The best ones can make for a great night’s sleep. But how do you know what knee pillow is right for you?
Best Knee Pillows
We’ve put together a buying guide here to help you identify what to look for and how to pick the under knee pillow to improve your posture and discomfort. Here are our choices for the best knee pillows on the market:
This ergonomically designed knee pillow will comfortably fit between your legs, providing maximum support and comfort. This will help relieve pain caused by the sciatic nerve.
The 100% memory foam provides lasting comfort throughout the whole night.
The ComfiLife memory foam is responsive to both heat and weight, adjusting as your body temperature and position do as you sleep. It can be used in a variety of different positions in order to meet many different postural needs.
It is covered with a polyester zippered fabric that helps keep the cushion cool and makes it easy to wash when needed.
- Breathable, removable zipper cover
- 100% money back guarantee
- No strap
- SCIATICA, BACK & HIP PAIN RELIEF AT NIGHT: Ergonomically designed knee pillow fits comfortably between your knees and provides maximum...
- PREMIUM HIGH-DENSITY MEMORY FOAM: Made with 100% premium quality durable cut memory foam to provide long lasting comfort for hours,...
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: Ergonomic contoured design keeps your legs, hip and spine in ideal alignment while sleeping and improves circulation....
If you’ve done any research into pain-relieving knee pillows, you’ve probably seen much praise for the Cushy Form cushion. It’s a contoured memory foam knee pillow with a washable, removable cover for easy maintenance and even easier sleeping.
The foam relieves pressure from gravity on your knees, hips, and legs and distributes the weight more evenly so as to allow comfort all night long. It’s a perfect knee pillow for sciatica relief as it allows more circulation through the sciatic nerve areas.
This product helps improve circulation and can be especially helpful for pregnant women or those recovering from surgery.
- Great for special cases (pregnancy, post-surgery)
- Storage bag included
- Comfortable and soft
- May be overly warm
- CONTOUR KNEE PILLOW - This contoured superior memory foam knee pillow with washable cover allows for a comfortable all night's sleep by...
- SCIATICA PAIN RELIEF - Eases back, leg, knee, ankle and hip joint pain by providing proper spinal alignment and reducing pressure while...
- ESSENTIAL CUSHION - Improves circulation for side sleepers, use as knee spacer during pregnancy or post surgery recovery, assists with...
This memory foam knee pillow stands out with the strap that helps keep it in place. With the pillow in its proper place the whole night, there will be no more interruptions from your normal sleep schedule. The strap keeps it from slipping off but can be removed or used on the other side of the body if needed.
This one is made from 100% real memory foam, which memorizes the shape and weight of your body and surrounds those it with soft pressure and support. Unlike other stuffing materials, memory foam will not flatten out or lose its density over time.
There’s an extra bonus that comes along with the Everlasting Comfort as well: earplugs. These earplugs are noise-reducing, shape memorizing, and travel-friendly with a portable case that they come in.
- Smooth to the touch
- Stays in place
- Convenient addition of earplugs
- Possibility of weak zipper
- Heavily weighted pillow
- MEMORY FOAM KNEE PILLOW - Made with pure memory foam with no additives. Provides the perfect soft yet firm density for comfortable...
- ERGONOMIC CURVED DESIGN - The contoured design keeps your knees separated for improved comfort while you sleep. The pillow creates...
- REMOVABLE STRAP – Our knee pillows are equipped with a removable and adjustable strap that keeps the pillow in perfect alignment...
One of Amazon’s Choices for side sleeper pillows, this Sciatic Nerve Pain Relief Cushion is a contoured memory foam that will elevate the upper knee, both supporting the top leg and alleviating the bottom one.
Users say that the knee pillow starts out pretty firm but softens and follows your shape as time goes on. Reviewers have also noted relief from back pain, hip pain, leg pain, and nerve pain after using this pillow.
The sciatic nerve, the nerve which runs through the hips and down both legs, can get pinched when kept in a side-sleeping position for long periods of time. This causes acute pain or discomfort, often waking up a sleeper because of the irritation.
This is a great knee pillow for hip pain, as it’s designed to cut back on the discomfort caused by sciatic nerve pain, allowing side sleepers to enjoy their favorite position without all the drawbacks.
- Full memory foam
- Removable, washable zipper
- Contoured shape
- May lose density/firmness over time
- No strap
- No cooling
- ✅ CONTOUR KNEE PILLOW - This contoured superior memory foam knee pillow with washable cover allows for a comfortable all night's...
- ✅ SCIATICA PAIN RELIEF - Eases back, leg, knee, ankle and hip joint pain, and relief to those suffering from sciatica, scoliosis and...
- ✅ ESSENTIAL CUSHION - Improves circulation for side sleepers, use as knee spacer during pregnancy or post surgery recovery, assists...
The Ziraki Memory Foam Wedge offers relief for pain in the back, hips, joints, legs and sciatica nerve.
It also aids with spinal alignment, leg support, and acts as a great pregnancy cushion. The full money-back guarantee shows Ziraki’s strong confidence in their product.
It’s designed specifically to fit in the space between your knees to provide maximum support.
It works best when maintained at room temperature, as memory foam reacts to temperature, and it may get harder in cold weather and softer in warmer temperatures.
Like most of the other options on this list, the Ziraki pillow comes with a removable and machine washable cover to keep things regularly cleaned.
- Full 100% memory foam
- Recommended for pregnancy
- No strap
- May react to temperature
- PAIN RELIEF-LEG SUPPORT- PREGNANCY- Ziraki knee pillow fits comfortably between your knees and provides maximum support and comfort...
- IMPROVE SPINAL ALIGNMENT- Ziraki knee pillow will help keep your hip, legs and spine properly aligned, while lying down or sleeping,...
- HIGH QUALITY-MEMORY FOAM PILLOW- Made with premium quality,100% memory foam to provide long lasting comfort for hours, and won't...
What To Look For In A Knee Pillow
There are a few major factors to consider when shopping for a knee pillow sleeping. You want something that will lift your upper leg, provide comfort to your bottom leg, relieve any pinched nerves, and realign the spine into proper position.
For all these things, consider:
- Support – The knee pillow needs to provide firm support to the leg it lifts up in order to provide relief to the lower one.
- Comfort – The rubbing together of bones is what causes discomfort, so it must be soft and comfortable. You’ll be spending several hours a night with it, after all. This aspect of comfort is especially important if you happen to suffer to one of the following ailments:
- Knee arthritis
- Spinal misalignment
- Hip Bursitis
- Recent surgery
- Bad backs
- Cooling – A thick buffer of cushion between your knees can be soft and cozy, but it becomes uncomfortable when that cushion makes you hot and sweaty. Some may offer cooling elements to help the sleeper remain fresh during the night.
Benefits of Knee Pillows
A knee pillow is beneficial in many more ways than one. It can play many roles, depending on the needs of the user. Some of the top benefits include:
- Pressure elimination – Reduced pressure on the knees, thus reducing hip and lower back tension as well
- Prevents hip rotation – Keeps your hips properly aligned
- Posture improvement – Allows your body to maintain proper posture while sleeping
- Improved blood flow – By elevating your leg, it allows for proper blood flow throughout the whole body
- Pregnancy comfort – During what can often be a time of interrupted sleep and discomfort in bed, a knee pillow can provide great relief for pregnant women
- Surgery aftercare – For some procedures, a knee pillow will provide comfortable sleeping postures after the fact, while the patient fully recovers
How Do Knee Pillows Help?
These kinds of cushions can relieve pressure from all parts of the body, including the back, ankles, hips, and more. They do this by realigning the spine into proper position.
Sleeping in the fetal position is actually the most natural and healthiest body posture. This is only true, however, when proper alignment of the spine can be maintained.
This is where a good knee pillow comes in. It alleviates pressure put on your back and hips by gravity and distributes the pressure evenly throughout your body.
As a great side effect, a knee pillow will also help to relax the hamstring muscles, which gives an overall relaxation to the body.
Many people find it is beneficial to use a knee pillow after travelling. Here is a good YouTube video explaining how a knee pillow can help relieve discomfort after a trip:
Conclusion: A Knee Pillow Means Better Sleep and a More Comfortable Life
Now you should have a strong idea of the criteria that qualifies a knee pillow as a good one. You understand the benefits they provide to the sleeper and how it works to provide those benefits. You even know about the top-performing knee pillows on the market right now.
What’s stopping you from enjoying higher quality sleep, more comfort, and less pain? If you’re a side sleeper, consider trying a knee pillow today to see what you’ve been missing out on all this time.
Last update on 2020-09-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API